The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church opened
New permanent exhibition of the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church opened to public
The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church was solemnly opened on Friday, 31 May 2013 during the meeting of the Holy Assembly of Bishops.
Among attendees there were President of the Republic of Serbia Mr. Tomislav Nikolic, Minister of Culture Mr. Bratislav Petkovic, all bishops, priests, representatives of other Christian confessions and religions, some ambassadors of foreign countries and eminent people from public and cultural institutions.
The reconstructed Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church contains three hundred exhibits, compared to the thousands that it owns in the depots.
After keynote adresses, Patriarch Irinej along with high guests toured the new permanent exhibition of the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
At the solemn opening ceremony of the museum there were: His Royal Highness Prince Alexander and Princess Katherine Karadjordjevic; His Excellency Archbishop Orlando Antonini, Apostolic Nuncio in Belgrade; Reis-ul-ulema of the Islamic community of Serbia Adem Zilkic; Serbian Mufti Muhamed Jusufspahic, Secretary General of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts Dr. Dimitrije Stefanovic; General Secretary of the Holy Synod of Bishops Archpriest-Stavrophor Savo Jovic; former director of this Museum MSci Miroslav Ilic; writer Milovan Vitezovic, Anika Skovran and others.
The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church was founded in 1954. With the support of the Ministry of Culture it was reconstructed into a modern Museum space. The items have invaluable religious, cultural and artistic value. Labels of the exhibits are in both Serbian and English. The Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church has published a catalogue in several languages.
The entrance to the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church is from Knez Sima Markovic street no. 3 (opposite the Cathedral Church).